About Us

Wei Wai Kum people are part of a larger group called the Laich-Kwil-Tach.  We are one of several Laich-Kwil-Tach groups who share a common history, ancestor and language, Lik’wala. In Lik’wala, the word Laich-Kwil-Tach refers to a large sea worm that cannot be easily killed.  

Learn More



Communications TRM Video 1 - Incremental Treaty Agreement

Here is the first of 3 videos that are part of Communications Videos that the Wei Wai Kum-Kwiakah Treaty Society is creating.   

Read More


Wei Wai Kum and Kwiakah First Nations Reach Stage 5 in Treaty Negotiations

  Canada, British Columbia and Wei Wai Kum and Kwiakah First Nations Advance to Final Treaty Negotiations   CAMPBELL RIVER – The governments of Canada and British Columbia and the Wei...

Read More


Citizens' Assembly

The Treaty Society is offering a travel subsidy for those members travelling to attend Jan.11 & 12, 2020 meetings. You must register ahead of time. 

Read More

Upcoming meetings & events

The centre of Weiwaikum territory today is Campbell River and Loughborough Inlet.  Many generations ago our ancestors began to expand out from Tikya, the origin place of Laich-Kwil-Tach people, and took over the Loughborough Inlet area.  We still see this as part of our homeland.  Also, as part of the larger Laich-Kwil-Tach expansion, our ancestors moved southward, displacing the K’omok people, and living at Matlaten (Greene Point meaning “calm point”), Tatapowis (Whiterock Passage on Maurelle Island meaning “place becomes dry”) and Tłəmatək (Campbell River meaning “place where there are houses” or “spit at mouth of river”).  


Today we have only small reserves at Loughborough Inlet, Matlaten and Tłəmatək and, although a reserve was proposed in 1879 by G.M. Sproat at Tatapowis, none was ever created in our name.   Based on this history and the expansion of our ancestors, Wei Wai Kum territory extends today from Topaze Harbour and the headwaters of Loughborough Inlet in the north to the Tsable River in the south.  It goes westward to the chain of mountains on central Vancouver Island and our border with the Nuu-Chah-Nulth, and eastward midway through the Strait of George and then north to the Loughborough Inlet headwaters.  



The centre of Kwiakah territory is Phillips Arm.  Our former village at the head of Phillips Arm is Nəts’inuxw.  The word Kwiakah translates as ‘murderers’.  Not all written sources agree on the history of the Kwiakah.  Galois (1994:250) suggests we originated among the Kwakiutl tribe, who later became well known at Fort Rupert.  He says that for “unknown reasons part of the Kweeha tribe [of the Kwakiutl] split off, left their original territory, and moved eastwards to the Port Neville area” (1994:250).  Mauze also argues the same point in her 1989 article.  However, she cites Boas.  As it turns out, Boas (2005 (1897):332) actually says that it was the Matilpi who “branched off from the Kwakiutl” while the Kwiakah and Tlaaluis amalgamated. He was looking for examples of the creation of new groups. Thus, Boas clearly recognized both the Kwiakah and Tlaaluis as Laich-Kwil-Tach, and not as Kwakiutl.  Thus, as our oral history suggests, we are Laich-Kwil-Tach and not a group formerly of the Kwakiutl.